OK this was delicious! I've tried some variations on this basic recipe but THIS had everything right where the other's lacked. I used a chicken sausage with spices and cheese in it. I don't know who makes it, but I bought it at Walmart. This warmed up amazing the next day for lunch. I also substituted sweet red peppers for the green peppers. Make this soon!
- Sausage & Penne Marinara
- 2-1/2 cups uncooked penne pasta
- 1 pound Italian sausage links, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large onion, halved and sliced
- 1 medium green pepper, sliced
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes, cut up
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Grated Parmesan cheese, optional
Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook the sausage, onion and green pepper in oil over medium heat until sausage is no longer pink and vegetables are tender. Add the tomatoes, tomato sauce and seasonings; heat through. Drain pasta; toss with tomato mixture. Sprinkle with cheese if desired.
Yield: 6 servings
Nutrition Facts: 1-1/3 cups (calculated without cheese) equals 299 calories, 13 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 30 mg cholesterol, 853 mg sodium, 33 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 14 g protein.