Thursday, May 19, 2011

Morning Glory Muffins


I made these today because I had carrots to use up. It was either these or a luscious carrot cake complete with cream cheese frosting. You can understand why the Morning Glory Muffins won out. They turned out GREAT! My kids thought I'd lost my mind because I kept asking them if they'd like another muffin for a snack. I didn't bother telling them that they were pretty darn healthy so I was totally OK with them digging in! I omitted the nuts but everything else was as written. Enjoy!


Morning Glory Muffins


1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup packed light brown sugar
2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp table salt
2 cups carrots shredded
1 cup apple(s) shredded
3/4 cup raisins
1/3 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
1/4 cup sweetened coconut flakes
8 oz can of crushed pineapple, drained
1/3 cup canola oil
1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 large egg(s)
2 items egg white(s)

Instructions
Preheat oven to 350. Combine flour through salt in a large bowl and mix well. Stir in carrots through pineapple. Make a well in the center of the mixture and add oil, applesauce, vanilla, eggs and eggs whites. Stir until just moist. Spoon batter into 24 muffin cups coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350 for 25 minutes. Makes 24 muffins.

No comments:

Post a Comment