Sunday, September 11, 2011

Caramel Apple Salad


OK this recipe should really be named "candy apple salad" BUT since I already have a recipe listed here by that name, I went with Caramel Apple Salad because this DOES taste like a caramel apple you'd get from a fair but without the calories or caramel to be exact LOL. This is as low fat as you can get, it's delicious and easy to throw together and take on the go. My Aunt makes it for many a family gathering and we all love it.

Caramel Apple Salad

4 Cups Granny Smith Apples, peeled, cored and chopped
(I used honey crisp and it was delicious)
½ C. Sugar (I used Splenda - 12 packets)
1 8 oz. Crushed Pineapple with Juice
1 T. Flour
1 Beaten Egg (I used egg whites)
1 T. Vinegar
1 8 oz Cool Whip (I used “light“)

1 C. Coarsely chopped dry roasted peanuts

In saucepan over medium
heat, stir egg, flour, sugar, vinegar and pineapple. Cook until thick, about six minutes. Cool. In large bowl, fold pineapple mixture and cool whip. Carefully mix in apples and ½ cup peanuts. Sprinkle the rest of the peanuts on top.  

1 comment:

  1. Yum! And I'll bet it is way easier to eat than a caramel apple on a stick :)

    ReplyDelete