Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Amish Breakfast Casserole


I made this for Christmas morning and it was fantastic! I like my breakfast casseroles to have potatoes in them and this was by far the best one I've had yet. I substituted cooked Jimmy Dean Maple sausage links in place of the bacon which my gallbladder hates and omitted onion. Do not skip the cottage cheese. Even if your family doesn't like it, you'll never taste it BUT it does add to the creaminess and set up of the dish!!

Amish Breakfast Casserole

  • 1 pound sliced bacon, diced
  • 1 medium sweet onion, chopped
  • 6 eggs, lightly beaten
  • 4 cups frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed
  • 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
  • 1 1/2 cups small curd cottage cheese
  • 1 1/4 cups shredded Swiss cheese

  • In a large skillet, cook bacon and onion until bacon is crisp; drain. In a bowl, combine the remaining ingredients; stir in bacon mixture. Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. x 2-in. baking dish.Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees F for 35-40 minutes or until set and bubbly. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting.

  • picture courtesy of Taste of Home

No comments:

Post a Comment