Sunday, November 13, 2011

Baked Potato Soup


I have this fear of cooking with sour cream. Every time I've done so, it comes out curdled and it just grosses me out. I found this recipe for Baked Potato Soup that used cream cheese in it's base so right away I was interested. Although I'm not a HUGE soup eater, I found this to be very good although I do believe the recipe needs some more salt. I'll let you be the judge so I won't alter the base recipe to include more. Overall this is a keeper!

Baked Potato Soup

5lbs Russet Potatoes, washed but NOT peeled. Diced into 1/2 inch(ish) cubes
1 large yellow onion, diced
10 cloves of garlic, whole
8 cups chicken stock
16 oz cream cheese softened (I used 8oz regular and 8oz low fat)
1 TBS seasoned salt or all-purpose seasoning

Garnishes:
Crumbled bacon
Shredded cheddar cheese
Green onions

Add potatoes, onion, garlic, seasoning and chicken stock to slow cooker.
Cook on high for 6 hours or low for 10 hours.
Remove and puree the garlic cloves and cream cheese along with 1/2 to 1/3rd of the soup, and then reintroduce to the remainder in the crock pot.
Stir until soup is well blended.
Top with your choice of garnishes & serve!

photo courtesy of rachelraydotcom

No comments:

Post a Comment